Our passion, our approach, our family...
Growing up on my family’s small farm created some of my best childhood memories. We had a milk cow named Jersey, lots of chickens, geese, rabbits, horses and a pet pig. We drank milk that was only a few hours old that we had to “shake” before pouring because the thick layer of cream rose to the top. We gathered eggs every day and shared with the neighbors.
My husband Dave learned at an early age from his mother, Irene to preserve and store vegetables from the garden. He still cans numerous quarts of tomatoes from our garden every summer. As kids we were eating off the land, and little did I realize that we were eating like kings! Dave and I both know what purity tastes like, and our farm life taught us hard work, dedication, and patience.
This deep experience is what helped to establish our Core Values here at Achatz Pies; from teaching our next generation of pie makers and passing down traditions, to purchasing and using pure, all-natural ingredients from many local Michigan farms.
In 1993, we began selling our pies at local farmers markets and quickly learned that we could barely keep up with demand. Business was booming, so we bought a nearby apple orchard and opened our very first pie shop. Achatz Handmade Pie Company was officially born. Our “family farm” approach means that we take pride in always using the best ingredients and producing the best possible pies.
Real pie making is much like running a small family farm; it takes time, patience, hard work, dedication and a whole lot of passion.
Join us as we celebrate 25 years in business, teaching and passing down our family traditions to the next generation.
All Our Best,
Check out founder Wendy Achatz's Youtube channel to see how her and Dave started their little pie business out of their home, and hear more stories about the 25 year journey. She also shares advice on how to start your own food business.
- Why are you closed on Saturday?
- Since our beginning in 1993, our stores have been closed on Saturday. Our family is Seventh - day Adventist and we enjoy this special day of rest.
- How do you pronounce "Achatz"?
- The actual pronunciation is (ak'its). When in doubt, remember that it rhymes with 'jackets.'
- Are any of your pies vegan?
- All of our double crust fruit pies are made with no dairy or animal products.
- How can I place a special order?
- The easiest way to place a special order is through our online store section. You can also call the store where you wish to pick the pie up.
- Questions about pies-that-fly
- We ship anywhere in the United States. Please see online store for when and how pies are shipped. For order-specific information, please reply to your confirmation email to reach our internet sales department or call our headquarters at (586)-749-2882.
- Can I purchase an Achatz pie shop?
- Yes, we are happy to offer our loyal customers the opportunity to own their own pie shop. Please fill out a customer feedback form!
Frequently, when I depart St. Clair Shores for my 2nd home up in Port Austin on a given morning, I head up North Avenue through Armada and stop at the Achatz store there for my favorite treat, a piece of your unbelievably delicious pecan pie. It is simply the best I have ever tasted, and it never disappoints.
Hi: My husband and I discovered Achatz last year, at the South Loop Chicago Whole Foods. I don't even know how many pies and slices we have bought over the last 14 months but it's a lot. We serve your pies at our dinner parties. We bring them to other peoples' dinner parties. We buy slices on weeknights just because they're SO GOOD. We have never had better pie, ever. The only issue we are now having is that my husband's favorite is your lemon meringue and Whole Foods has ceased having it this year. We have talked to all of their managers and they say that the issue is on your end. We have even been to the new Plum Market in Chicago and asked them for help. They said they called you and you won't do it. So, I'm writing to ask what exactly the issue is with lemon meringue coming to Chicago? You seem to send all of your other cream pies to Whole Foods. Is it an issue of popularity? Does it not sell well? Is the re no way we can special order it? We are starting to think that the only way we can get one again is to come to Michigan sometime. Please let us know. And thank you for such deliciousness!!
The other day we went to the Oxford store and was informed about the deal of buying 8 packaged pieces for the price of a pie. Splendid Idea. After leaving the store and enjoying my selection of pie with a fresh pot of coffee, I thought it would be a copywrite moment for you folks to label Fridays as Fantasy Pie Friday. Everybody needs an excuse for this guilty pleasure. Just thinking.
I recently moved to Troy Michigan and I came across the Pie shp while geting my driver's license changed at te DMV. The person behind the counter was very nice and we had a few samples. Having tried 2 -3 samples that day, I ended up buying a few slices of different ones. My son's favorite is the chocolate cream pie and my daughter's was the strawberry cream pie. I LOVE your coconut cream pie!!! They are so good! I am definitely going there again and again!
4 Berry Pie , this was the first time I have purchased one of your pies, this pie was wonderful ! I will definitely try another one of your pies. Soooo Good ! Thank You.
In the Press
- Hour Magazine,
Pie's the Limit
- Ann Arbor Observer, The Pies Have It
- Bon Appetit, Thanksgiving Pie Baking Tips
- Bon Appetit,The Top 10 Best Places for Pie
- Good Morning America Weekend, Best Slice Finalist
- Edward Lowe Foundation, Michigan 50 Companies to Watch
- Food Network, Compilation Reel
- Co Founder, Wendy Achatz, was inducted in the Macomb Hall of Fame on 10/1/12
- Detroit Free Press, Achatz Pies to Greatly Expand Via Franchies
- MLive: Michigan's Best Pie
30301 Commerce Blvd.
Chesterfield, MI 48041